Thursday, May 6, 2010

Yukan Club


Yuri, Karen, Noriko, Miroku, Seishirou, Bidou

Synopsis:
Yukan Club consists of: Shochikubai Miroku, a son of police commisioner, he has a lot of connections and great skills in gadgets; Hakushika Noriko, whose father is a famous painter and whose mother is from a traditional tea ceremony family, she is 'allergic' to guys; Kikumasamune Seishirou, a son of a rich hospital owner, he is intellectual and skilful in martial arts; Kizakura Karen who lives with her rich jeweller mother, she dreams of marrying a rich husband someday; Bidou Granmanie, a playboy who is a son of Swedish ambassador; and Kenbishi Yuri, daughter of the successful Kenbishi Corporation, she loves to eat and outclasses men in physical activities. They are a group of bored students who spend their free time finding and solving mysteries.

My opinion:
The first thing I thought when I started watching was: OMG why are the names so long and mouthful? Lol.. The description of the characters alone warrants a comedy but I am expecting that there is some storyline involved. Apparently, this is just like a Doraemon: there is no storyline, each episode is just telling about a different story. So essentially, it is just a comedy, and hell yeah, I had a good laugh :)

One thing that amazes me is that the series cover a lot of different genre. Some episodes are about "love dramas", some episodes are "action movie", some are "horrors", etc. And the effects are good and convincing. I especially love the horror ones. Though I know this is a comedy, during the horror episodes, the music etc really gave me goosebumps. Something which I think lacking is the absence of music and sports-related episodes.

In each episode, different characters are made the "lead" characters. Thus everyone has an equal portion of stage and I don't feel as if one character is more prominent than others. Another plus point from me.. The characters' background is also involved in the various story. However, I feel that Karen's and Bidou's background (as a daughter of famous jeweller and son of Swedish ambassador respectively) does not really come into the story. The other 4 characters have their parents and relatives etc involved. Other than that, I guess the show is cool.

Some of the stories do not quite make sense a.k.a unrealistic. For example, these 6 people can defeat a terrorist attack. Hey that's too much.. Another episode is about them defeating a Minister who uses dirty tricks in his attempt to be a Prime Minister. Their effort to gain info was totally trashed by the mafias but eventually they manage to 'defeat' the minister just by simply drugging him. So lame again.. But then, since overall there is no plot, I take this series as a comedy. Thus, I will put realism aside.

The comedy portions are very funny too. The most memorable one would be during the terrorist attack, the terrorist shot a gun and the bimbo (Karen) fell down. Everyone thought she was shot etc and suddenly all the tears and sad music came in.. Then it was revealed that she fell because her high heels broke. I was like ROFL.. sooo lame.. but then it fits nicely to her bimbo character. I initially expect that Jin Akanishi (Shochikubai Miroku) will be the typical act cool irritating guy. I am wrong! His character is quite lame too. He actually cried to lame things like a sad story of a boy and a father etc. No act cool guys means good haha..

Just a trivia, in the show, the disguise car of the Yukan Club has a label "You-Can dry cleaning". Yukan = You Can? Haha.. Quite appropriate because their slogan is: there is nothing impossible that Yukan Club cannot do (something along that line.. I forgot already).

My afterthoughts:
I wish the reality can be as what the series portray. These 6 people are very different in personalities and yet they can be very good friends. In real life, I seriously doubt that a people can tolerate bimbos and narcists well unless they are also bimbotic and narcistic. I also don't think smart people will mix with dumb people or the cool and modern types will be good friends with the traditional ones. Something not every possible right? But I guess that's what true friendship is. Lol..

While usually, I loathe love story, surprisingly I am quite touched during the episode when Noriko (a high class Japanese girl who is anti towards any guys) actually fell in love with a rough gangster-kind of guy. I find the love story is quite sweet. Both are quite akward to each other because their different background but the way they interact with each other is very sweet ^^

This movie makes me want a dog! Lol.. Miroku has a dog called Otokoyama (again a very looong name) and the dog is very cute! Lol.. The dog can actually tap to wake Miroku up. I was like waaa so cute haha. Though usually I prefer a golden retriever to a lassie :p
This movie also makes me want to learn martial arts! Gosh.. haha.. I think it's quite cool to be able to fight.. erm.. or maybe to defend myself at least. Lol.. Come to think of it my parents did offer me when I was a kid.. But I guess they value English and Music more than martial arts. That's why they forced me for English course and Organ course only.. Haiz.. perhaps if I got do martial arts before, I would be a totally different person now.. Definitely not like a pig I am today.

And a few things that I learn from is that: firstly, I know how irritating it must be for other people when they listen to me at times when I am being shamelessly narcistic LOL.. I am quite -_- when Bidou always boasts his looks etc. Haha even though the actor is a funny guy. Secondly, again I am shown that pride is one of worst vices. Pride can turn even your friends to enemies. Pride shuts the heart and distorts the mind. Oh well, why am I still being so proud even though there is nothing that I can boast actually? :(

And lastly I would like to say that other than comedy, what attracts me to this show is the fact that the school is so high class, there are many high class mansions, party, etc bla bla bla.. Hehe.. It feels so good to be able to see beautiful buildings and people wearing beautiful dresses. Haiz.. I hope someday I would be able to become an elite too.. wishful thinking.

No comments: